Highlights of Trinity's More Than 200 Years
- The current location of Trinity is the site originally donated by Colonel Ninian Beall for a Presbyterian church before 1690. Beall was an indentured servant from Scotland who rose to become a member of the Maryland House of Burgess and was also influential in the settling of the District of Columbia.
- The Revolutionary War gravesite of Private John Moore who died in 1793 is located in Trinity's churchyard.
- In 1810, the site of the wooden Presbyterian meeting house was taken over by the Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church in Upper Marlborough. David Crauford III deeded the property to Trinity. A vestry was elected and Dr. William Beanes was the first senior warden.
- On July 16, 1812 Bishop Thomas john Claggett officially consecrated Trinity Church. Claggett was the first American Episcopal Bishop consecrated on American soil. He was the first Chaplain of the U.S. Senate in 1800 in the new capital.
- In 1814 British troops were billeted in Trinity Church on their way to burning Washington, D.C. during the War of 1812. They stabbled their horses in the old frame structure and kneaded bread on the tombstones in the churchyard.
- In September 1814, Dr. Beanes (Trinity's senior warden) placed some rowdy British troops in the local jail. British General Ross had Dr. Beanes arrested and put aboard a ship. They wanted to try Dr. Beanes for treason. Francis Scott Key, a young Georgetown lawyer, was appointed by President James Madison to Negotiate for Dr. Beanes' release. While on a board a neutral ship, the massive British bombardment of Baltimore's Fort McHenry began on September 13th. Following the 25 hours of attack, Key saw the huge impressive U. S. flag through the smoke and was inspired to write the poem that became the national anthem, "The Star-Spangled Banner."
- On December 31, 1846 the present brick church was consecrated.
- In 1885 the present Trinity Cemetery on Rectory Lane was established.
- In 1886 on the 50th anniversary to the consecration of Trinity, the bell tower was added to the front of the church and the church was renovated.
- The Rev W. Curtis Draper Jr. was the longest serving rector of Trinity Church -- 28 years from 1947 - 1975.
- Trinity parish purchased and restored a 1909 Tracker pipe organ in 1980.
- A massive restoration effort was completed in 1987. On January 1, 1987 the Rt. Rev. John T. Walker, (first black Bishop of the Washington Diocese) rededicated Trinity Church.
- On July 1, 2000, the Rev. Martha J. Bonwitt became the first female Rector of Trinity Church.
- Trinity celebrated it's Bicentennial in 2010. The play "Trinity Episcopal Church and the Dawning of the National Anthem" (by Tricia Politte) was performed.
- Trinity Church currently hosts the Marlboro Area Churches Food Bank, which serves an average of 115 households monthly.